Overview of this module:
- Introduction to disinformation;
- The shortcomings of the term ‘fake news’, and alternative terminology to be used;
- The different regional and regulatory responses to address disinformation, and the measures being implemented in South Africa to address disinformation online during the elections and during the COVID-19 pandemic;
- The standard of care required by the media and the importance of media credibility;
- Guidelines for countering disinformation: the important role of the media in publishing counter-narratives, fact‑checking and verification, and practical guidance for journalists.