The South African National Editors’ Forum offers newsroom training on local government, municipal finances and elections reporting, in addition to a range of reporting resources available on the SANEF municipal elections portal elections.sanef.org.za.
The training is part of SANEF’s ongoing capacity building and investment in democracy and governance reporting skills and resources to ensure that journalists provide the public with fair, balanced and accurate information to rely on when they prepare for voting day.
The training sessions kick off in August and will run into September (and beyond, if necessary), and can be attended free of charge upon registration by journalists from mainstream and community media.
The webinars will be two to three hours long, with input from experienced election trainers, experts and facilitators, as well as seasoned journalists and editors to provide advice on election coverage.
Please click on the registration links for the first courses, and check back for links to the remaining webinar dates once confirmed:
- How the elections work, editorial planning and election stories – watch the 17 August webinar on this link: (1) SANEF webinar: How the elections work – YouTube
- Telling local government stories with data – read more about doing stories with the local government data dashboard.
- Reporting on municipal finances –read more about what the training session covered here
- The role of the media during elections – Get the presentation slides on the link below SANEF Elections 2021 – Module 2 – Elections Training PowerPoint Presentation and have a look at this topic in the SANEF election manual.
- Disinformation during elections– watch the webinar here, and have a look at this topic in the SANEF election manual.
- The safety of journalists on- and offline– register here for the webinar on Tuesday 21 September, and have a look at this topic in the SANEF election manual.
- Telling stories with election data – (date to be confirmed)
Election handbook modules for most of these sessions are already on the SANEF election portal, and will be supplemented with video tutorials, infographics and other materials for journalists and for newsrooms if they want to do customised in-house training.
A new addition to the election portal is a data dashboard which provides journalists with detailed information on municipal demographics and finances, to assist them when they do stories on municipal performance and service delivery in the run-up to the elections.
Additional electoral datasets will be added to the dashboard when released by the IEC and will include information on registration levels for each municipality as well as the parties and candidates contesting ward and proportional representation seats.